Maine is a state known for its four distinct seasons. Though beautiful for their own reasons, each season brings its own challenges for lawn care.
To help you keep your lawn looking great all year round, we've put together this guide with tips on how to care for your lawn each season. From mowing and watering to weed control and pest management, we have everything you need to know to keep your lawn healthy and beautiful.
So whether you're a Maine resident or just visiting, save this guide for whenever you need guidance on caring for your lawn.
As the weather cools and days grow shorter, many lawns will go into a state of dormancy. During this time, grasses will stop growing and begin to brown.
While it may be tempting to let your lawn go natural during the winter months, there are some essential steps that Maine homeowners need to take to ensure a healthy lawn come spring:
- Keep your lawn clear of debris: Leaves, twigs, and other organic matter can block sunlight and prevent moisture from reaching the grassroots. This can lead to yellowing and thinning of the grass.
In addition, it provides a perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew. Regularly raking or blowing leaves off your lawn will help ensure a healthy lawn come spring.
- Fertilize your lawn in the late fall or early winter: This will give the grass a boost of nutrients needed to survive the winter months.
A healthy property is vital to having a beautiful yard, so take care of it all year round!
As the weather warms up, it's time to start thinking about lawn care. Here are the crucial steps to take during spring, from March through May:
- Rake up any dead leaves or debris accumulated over winter: This will help your lawn to breathe and encourage new growth.
- Apply a pre-emergent herbicide to prevent weeds from taking over: Be sure to follow the label instructions carefully.
- Once the grass starts to green up, begin mowing regularly: Set the blade height a little higher at first, then gradually lower it as the season progresses.
By following these simple steps, you'll be on your way to having a healthy, green lawn that will be the envy of the neighborhood.
Depending on where you live in Maine, the summer may get relatively dreadful. Even though lawn care may not sound appealing, it’s essential to maintain consistent lawn care throughout the summer.
- Mow your lawn regularly, and set your mower blades high: This will help prevent your grass from getting scalped by the heat.
- Water deeply and less often: Watering deeply encourages deep roots, which are more drought-resistant. Watering less often also helps to prevent fungal diseases.
- Fertilize your lawn in early summer to help it grow quickly after being dormant all winter.
Following these simple steps ensures that your lawn stays healthy and green all summer long.
Fall is the perfect time to give your lawn some extra attention. The cooler weather gives your grass a chance to recover from the summer heat, and the fall rains help promote healthy growth.
Here are some steps you can take to ensure a healthy lawn this autumn:
- Fertilize your lawn: Apply a nitrogen-rich fertilizer to encourage lush growth.
- Mow one last time: Cut your grass a bit shorter than usual to help prevent winter damage.
- Aerate your lawn: This will help improve drainage and prevent compaction.
- Overseed bare spots: If you have bald patches on your lawn, now is the time to plant new seeds.
By following these simple steps, you can ensure a healthy lawn that can withstand the cold winter months ahead.
For help in the greater Buxton, Maine area with your landscaping needs, contact us at Prime Cut Landscaping & Lawn Care today!